New Chapters

New Chapters

Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Bone Broth


So... 

Upon reading about the many benefits of Bone Broth that have recently been posted on my Facebook followings, I have had the urge to try myself.

I have had such thing as a hormonal imbalance since around June (that I can last recall) and I have been working with various, holistic doctors in Amarillo to help get this sorted out.  I had developed all the obvious signs: hot/cold flashes, poor circulation, acne breakouts, mood swings which all evidently lead back to one cause: stress.  Apparently there is such a thing as a stress-related hormonal imbalance.

Sounds about right.  My career and personal life can get pretty stressful. But I knew that going into this job category so there isn't anyone to blame but my constant drive to beat the odds of failure.

I've been watching some webcasts from Dr. Axe, who first directed my attention to consuming Bone Broth.

Leaky gut.  There is such a thing.  It's interesting.  Look it up.  This definitely plays a part in my hormonal imbalance due to all the different types of Antibiotics I've been put on, my sudden food sensitivities, skin breaking out (clearly trying to tell me something's up) etc. all of this plays a factor. So I want to fix it.






Bone broth as well as sauerkraut, kefir, goat's milk, and various other fermented foods are proven to help solve Leaky Gut.


So I ventured out to my favorite resource place, West Texas RX, here in Amarillo, and I visited with the owner, Dr. Charles Black about the benefits and I came home with a small pouch of Beefy Bone Broth.  His wife said to "beef" it up with veggies, seasonings, because it is not pleasant to consume alone.

I searched around Pinterest this weekend and this is what I found to use with it.  It was so delicious!  I will definitely make again.

Beef Barley Soup
Servings: 5 • Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups • Points +: 8 pts • Smart Points: 8
Calories: 336 • Fat: 11 g • Carbs: 27 g • Fiber: 6 g • Protein: 32 g • Sugar: 1.5 g
Sodium: 453 mg (using 1 tsp kosher salt)
Ingredients
  • tsp oil
  • 1-1/2 lbs lean beef round stew meat
  • 1 cup chopped carrots
  • 1 cup chopped onions
  • 1/2 cup chopped celery
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 6 cups water
  • 1 – 2 tsp kosher salt, to taste (I didn't use this; because I couldn't find it at the store!)
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2/3 cup dry barley (I used Organic Quinoa, because I am on a gluten-free diet right now)
  • fresh ground black pepper


Directions:
      Heat a large heavy pot or dutch oven on medium heat. Add oil and beef, season with a little salt and brown meat a few minutes.



          When meat is browned, add carrots, onion, celery and garlic to the pot and give it a good stir.



               

                Add water, salt and bay leaves and bring to a boil.
               When boiling, reduce heat to low and cover.
                Simmer covered over low heat until the meat is soft, about 1 1/2 – 2 hours.
                Add the barley, adjust the salt if needed and add fresh ground pepper.
                Simmer an additional 30-35, remove bay leaves and serve. Makes 7 1/2 cups.

              For full Pinterest recipe/blog read more here.


                       Happy Bone Brothing!

                              
                              With Love,
                                   
                                         Sami Jo <3












                              No comments:

                              Post a Comment